Thursday, January 7, 2016

CHANGING

      Changing is the word I would use to describe my life.  My life is ever changing! 

      In my professional life I embrace change.  It makes my daily life more exciting and challenges me to transcend my comfort zone. 

     In my personal life I have trouble initiating or adjusting to change.  The last 2 years have brought a great deal of change to my life.  After my sons graduated and began to work full time, my role as a mother changed drastically.  The amount of time we spend together as a family is very different.  I had these “Turn Around” moments when I would wistfully long for those “little boy” times.  I had to choose whether to melt into a sobbing blob or build the rest of our relationship on that precious past.  I have learned to embrace our new mother son relationship and appreciate the change now.  I can also see that the extra time I have to spend with my best friend, my loving husband, has truly been a major benefit of this change.  


     We also recently moved my mother from her home of 80 years to an independent living community.  When we sold her home I was devastated.  To me…it represented one of the rocks our family was built on.  It was solid.  Never changing and always welcoming.  …And with this change I began to realize how much my relationship with my mother has been changing.  I always kid around and say that I don’t have to worry because my mother does all of the worrying for me.  But I guess I have realized there is a bit of truth to that.  As old as I am I realized I still depend on my mother for moral support and encouragement.  Every night I call her before bed and say good night and tell her I love her.  She was quite sick for some time and I missed doing that so much so that again I felt that “Turn Around” moment.  Only this time realizing my mother is tired and growing older too, and someday soon, I will have to say good-bye.  Again I needed to embrace this change and see it as a blessing.  My Mother has accepted the challenge presented by her struggles and is totally focused on the present and the future.  NOT the PAST.  I still learn from my wise mother.  Focus on the "NOW" and what you CAN change, the future!  
     I can now embrace the changing me and see change as a blessing in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment